By Palina Mahilina, a student of MA program in Child Development, 2016-2017 Cohort.
When you just arrive, you are simply not ready to explore. The view from the University is just good enough to keep you happy for many days, especially if your home country is not really hilly or there is no sea. If you explore the territory of the university, there are few more places with breath-taking views. I love to go there when I feel very happy, or a bit homesick. It helps to calm down, relax or even concentrate on work to be done.
But behind Education building new discoveries were waiting for me. Hiking trails! My friends and I had a half day walk meeting cows, stopping and starring, and watching baby bananas grow.
The best period of course is before the summer heat, February – April. During this period, you can see lots of flowers blooming.
IMPORTANT: good planning happens before hiking:
- Research the route, print the maps and download them to your phone (take power bank!)
- Make others aware you are leaving for a hike.
- Take at least 3 litres of water, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Hand sanitizer and few medical plasters may be helpful
- Help the nature – you can collect the garbage on the trail in the sack.
The websites that can be your starting point for research:
Take care and enjoy Israel!